With over 25 million adults in the U.S. suffering from urinary incontinence.
Whether it’s lifestyle guidance or the new non-drug, non-surgical solution, Original Health Institute can provide a holistic approach to treating the various forms of urinary incontinence.
The first step is identifying the signs of urinary incontinence and achieving a proper diagnosis.
Signs of Urinary Incontinence
It can seem simple to identify the symptoms of urinary incontinence; however, incontinence doesn’t just come in one form.
Paying attention to which incontinence symptom or symptoms you have will help inform our doctors about the best treatment option.
- Urge incontinence – Urge incontinence can be a sign of an infection or more severe conditions such as diabetes or neurological disorders. Urge incontinence occurs when the need to pee happens frequently and/or suddenly. Urge incontinence often occurs throughout the night and can leave incontinent patients insufficient time to get to the toilet.
- Stress incontinence – This form of incontinence happens if a urinary release occurs when your bladder experiences pressure from heavy lifting, sneezing, coughing, laughing, exercise, etc. This pressure can be extremely difficult to avoid as many of these events occur daily and unexpectedly.
- Overflow incontinence – Overflow incontinence occurs when your bladder does not become sufficiently empty. The result is a slight yet consistent or regular release of urine.
- Functional incontinence – Physical or mental ailments prevent you from reaching the bathroom in time. If you are injured or have severe arthritis that impacts your ability to get to the restroom or unbutton your pants quickly, you suffer from functional incontinence.
- Mixed incontinence – If you are experiencing multiple forms of incontinence listed above, it’s known as mixed incontinence.
Understanding the form and severity of your incontinence allows our physicians to provide the proper treatment for immediate and long-term relief. Methods we use to diagnose incontinence in addition to speaking with patients to understand their symptoms include:
- Bladder diary – In addition to your own recollection of your bathroom visits, keeping an exact diary for multiple days of what you drink, when you urinate, the amount produced in each urination and how urgent each urination was, will give our doctors a more complete idea of your situation.
- Urinalysis – We will take a urine sample to check for signs of blood, infections, or other abnormalities.
- Post-void residual measurement – If you feel as though you’re not entirely voiding your bladder during each urination, we can test the amount of urine produced vs. what is left in your bladder to see how well your bladder is emptying.
Incontinence Treatment Options in Scottsdale AZ
Our practice provides natural solutions to common conditions. Urinary incontinence is a very common condition, especially for women. Thus Phoenix and Scottsdale locals need to have a natural incontinence treatment available to provide long-term relief with little to no complications.
- Behavioral training – Depending on which form of incontinence you have, we will recommend a few exercises or rules to implement throughout your day to promote healthy bladder function. We will work with you to help manage your diet and fluid intake as well as your bathroom habits to create urination periods of between 2.5 to 3.5 hours, in addition to completely emptying your bladder each time you visit the bathroom.
- Urgent® PC Neuromodulation – An extremely safe, non-drug and non-surgical treatment option for urinary incontinence. By utilizing an electro stimulator in the ankle, this treatment method sends electrical impulses down the leg and into the nerves in the pelvis that control bladder function to help relieve symptoms of incontinence. Settings on the stimulator are easily adjusted to ensure patient comfort. Treatments last 30 minutes and can be conducted monthly to sustain bladder control and keep incontinence at bay.
Urgent® PC Neuromodulation is perfect for patients that have received an insufficient response from other treatment options or who are unwilling to undergo risky surgeries or sustained exposure to chemicals in prescribed medications — over 1 million treatments since 2003 with an 80% success rate.
At the Original Health Institute, we are continually searching for new ways to provide our local Phoenix patients with the safest, most natural, and effective treatment options to their everyday ailments. For those suffering from the inconvenient and embarrassing side-effects of urinary incontinence, call OHI today @ (602) 842-6934 to schedule your initial consultation.